St Peter’s Anglican Church
A beautiful and historic red brick church established in 1914 that serves the people of Glenthompson and those of the surrounding district that is a great representation of community and the Anglican worship. In 2014, talented visual artist and curator, Gareth Colliton from Warrnambool designed and produced a mural on the walls of Glenthompson’s St Peter’s Anglican Church with support from local Elizabeth Cuming who approached him to do the artwork.
Within the church, on the famous Glenthompson handmade brick walls, you will find the mural that portrays scenes from the life of St Petre, Patron Saint of the church. Familiar faces of Glenthompson’s residents and parishioners at the time can be spotted throughout the mural donning their denim jeans, flannelette shirts and Akubra hats. With faces vaguely modelled off those of locals, residents were able to donate to the cause to have a friend or family member depicted within the mural, with some opting to choose a symbolic item to represent themselves or a loved one.
The mural spreads across the inside of the church walls and not only does this celebrate the church but also the people, places and industry of the district.