Today's weather in detail

Bookmark and Share


> Caravan Parks & Camp Grounds

> Things to See and Do


Welcome to the spectacular Southern Grampians, a landscape dominated by the Grampians mountain range, ancient volcanoes, tranquil rivers and waterfalls. The undulating pastoral land dotted with majestic red gums provides the ideal setting for you to explore this unique region.

Hitting the open road with a caravan, camping or fishing gear is a periennial favourite for visitors to our region. With the Southern Grampians compact size, accessibility and excellent road network, a diverse range of camping opportunities is offered at over 20 locations. Many visitors return again and again for the personal, friendly and secure atmosphere that is offered. First time campers meet new friends whilst others return to catch up with old friends each year.

The Southern Grampians is ideally located between Melbourne and Adelaide and is well serviced by major highways, a regular air service to and from Melbourne and daily coach services.

With many activities on offer including, bush walking, cultural heritage, fishing, gem fossicking, pastoral heritage, scenic drives, wineries, art galleries, bird watching and 4WD options, you are sure to find something you are looking for.


  • Konongwootong Reservoir - Redfin, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout
  • Glenelg River, Balmoral - Redfin, Carp
  • Lake Hamilton - Redfin, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout
  • Old Reservoir, Hamilton - Redfin
  • Rocklands Reservoir - Redfin, Carp, Yabbies
  • Wannon, Cavendish - Redfin, Blackfish, Brown Trout
  • Wannon, Nigretta Falls - Redfin, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout

    For a full list of Angling Clubs across the region please contact the Hamilton and Grampians Visitor Information Centre on 1800 807 056


Konongwootong Reservoir - Non powered vessels only

Lake Hamilton - Powered vessels on odd calendar days / Non-powered vessels on even calendar days

Rocklands Reservoir


Claude Austin State Forest - Hallam’s Road (North of Cavendish)


A Fossicking Licence can be purchased from the Department of Primary Industries. Phone 13 61 86. Fossicking is not permitted in the Grampians National Park or Black Range State Park.


  • Bridge Cafe, Cavendish
  • United Petrol, Hamilton
  • Balmoral General Store


Any person aged between 18 and 70 is required to hold a fishing permit. A fishing licence can be obtained from:

  • Balmoral General Store, Glendinning Street, Balmoral
  • Bridge Cafe, Scott Street, Cavendish
  • Dunkeld General Store, Parker Street, Dunkeld
  • Penshurst Newsagency & Takeaway, Bell Street, Penshurst
  • Quinn’s Sportspower, Gray Street, Hamilton
  • Robinson’s Sportscene, Gray Street, Hamilton
  • United Petroleum, Cox Street, Hamilton


It is important that all vessel operators, whether recreational or commercial, hold the appropriate qualification for the activity they are undertaking on Victoria’s waterways. To make a booking for a Licence test, contact Vic Roads or phone 13 11 71.


  • Balmoral Caravan Park, Glendinning Street, Balmoral
  • McDonald Rural Services, Glendinning Street, Balmoral
  • Bridge Cafe Scott Street, Cavendish
  • McDonald Rural Services, Whyte Street, Coleraine
  • Kelly & Henson Mitre 10, Parker Street, Dunkeld
  • Kelly's Merchandise, Bell Street, Penshurst
  • BP Service Station, Lonsdale Street, Hamilton
  • Mitre10, Coleraine Road, Hamilton
  • United Petroleum, Cox Street, Hamilton
  • Permewons, Cox Street, Hamilton
  • Shell Service Station, Thompson Street, Hamilton


  • United Petroleum, Whyte Street, Coleraine
  • United Petroleum, Parker Street, Dunkeld
  • BP, Cnr French & Cox Street, Hamilton
  • BP Service Station, Lonsdale Street, Hamilton
  • Caltex Service Station, Portland Road, Hamilton
  • Mobil Service Station, French Street, Hamilton
  • United Petroleum, Cox Street, Hamilton
  • Safeway Petrol Plus, French Street, Hamilton
  • Shell Service Station, Thompson Street, Hamilton


  • Channel 1 - Repeaters (these can also be referred to DUPLEX use). Each repeater needs a pair of channels to work.
  • Channel 11 - This channel is used to call another user who may be listening on the channel. After contact you must move to another channel. (Allocated by law)
  • Channels 22 & 23 - Are signalling and telemetry channels only. No voice is allowed. (Allocated by law)
  • Channel 40 - Used by highways vehicles and trucks. (Firmly established by tradition)
  • Channels 15 & 18 - Used by caravans and campers. (By courteous agreement)
  • Channel 10 - Used for 4WDrivers. (By courteous agreement)
  • Channel 5 - Used for emergency repeaters. (Allocated by law)


Caravan & Camping Brochure